DIY Light Switch Cover Makeover
Are you looking for an inexpensive way to give your home interior some brand new style? A DIY light switch cover makeover is the perfect solution!
This fun and crafty project lets you personalize your space on a budget, and it can make a great activity to keep your kids busy if summer boredom starts to set in. At 24/7 Electric, we are happy to provide all sorts of electrical upgrades for our customers. But this is one simple upgrade that you can do all by yourself! Here are some ideas for a DIY light switch cover makeover.
• Paint or Sharpie Designs
One of the simplest ways to decorate your light switch covers is with paint and/or markers. After unscrewing your light switch panel and removing it from the wall, set up a painting station at a large table with plenty of room. Stick to the basics and paint the covers in solid colors, or add some flair with designs like flowers, stripes, or polka dots. Use tape to help ensure you get perfectly straight lines. If you want to add a more creative pattern but you aren’t sure about your brushstrokes, try using paint pens or sharpies over your first coat of paint for better precision.
• Mod Podge and Paper
If hand painting or drawing isn’t your thing, mod podge just became your new best friend. Here is your five-step guide to this method.
- Step 1: First, pick out the paper design you want for the surface of the plate. Scrapbook paper, maps, book pages, and sheet music would all work great for this technique and give your light switches a very personalized look. Cut the paper of your choice to a size that is a little bit larger than the perimeter of your plate, leaving about a quarter or half an inch on each side.
- Step 2: After removing your light switch cover, coat the surface of it in mod podge with a paint brush. If the holes for the screws get clogged with mod podge, make sure to remove it with a Q-tip and not let it dry.
- Step 3: Place your light switch cover onto the paper and press it down to help the mod podge stick. Cut a diagonal line from each corner of your paper to the corners of the light switch cover. This will make it easier to fold each side of the paper up and over the edge of the plate and mod podge it into place. This will give the edges of your light switch plate a seamless, professional look.
- Step 4: Use an X-Acto knife to cut an X across the small rectangle where your switch will go. Fold each of the four remaining triangles of paper over to the back of the panel and mod podge them into place as well. Let everything dry.
- Step 5: To replace the screws that hold your light switch cover in place, hold your new creation up to the light so that you can see where the holes are underneath the paper. Gently press each of the screws through one of the holes and then replace your light switch cover onto the wall with a screwdriver.
• Picture Frame
If you want your new light switch décor to extend past its traditional edges and have some architectural flair, attach a small picture frame. You can find inexpensive frames in just the right size at Walmart or your local dollar store. If you want the frame and the panel to be the same color, spray paint them both with the screws before attaching. Then simply center your light switch cover on the frame, attach it with hot glue, and make sure it is completely dry before you replace it on the wall.
We hope these ideas inspire your own creative take on a DIY light switch cover makeover!